The aim of the Baltic Heritage Network (BaltHerNet) youth seminars is to bring together young diaspora researchers from different fields of study (history, sociology, cultural studies, literature, art, music and others): university students at bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral studies level. The seminars also welcome university students who are just beginning to look into diaspora research.
The first seminar took place at the Estonian National Museum in Tartu, Estonia in October 2009. The following seminars have taken place in Estonia and Latvia. Now the Baltic Heritage Network would like to organise a Baltic youth seminar in Latvia, Riga on October 5-6, 2012. The seminar will take place at the Latvian Academy of Sciences.
The topics will be as follows:
– how to research the past and present of the Baltic communities in the diaspora;
– the availability of (historical) sources, data and informants of the Baltic diaspora;
– the problems involved in topics concerning the diaspora;
– the researcher as collector;
– what could be done by memory institutions to make the cultural heritage of the Baltic diaspora more accessible and available?
We warmly welcome additional topics – the choice is yours!
The seminar will be conducted in English. No fee!
Please send abstracts of up to 1 page to firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline for submission is September 14, 2012.