The year 2020 has become more special than ever imagined. An emergency situation has been in place in Canada and in other parts of the world for some time and the end is not yet in sight. Restrictions have changed our everyday lives and coping mechanisms.
The collaborative group known as Baltic Canadian Imprints wishes to preserve these experiences for the future. Being inspired by the collection initiatives of the Estonian Literary Museum/Estonian Life Histories’ Association and the Estonian National Museum, we are calling on Baltic-Canadians to help record these extraordinary times and share their thoughts and feelings with us.
The project partners are: the Canadian Baltic Immigrant Aid Society, Estonian Studies Centre/VEMU, Lithuanian Museum Archives of Canada, the Canadian Latvian Archive and Museum and the Latvian National Federation in Canada
We are interested in the following materials, based on the emergency situation:
– written thoughts, ideas, and challenges (incl. blogs and diaries)
– photos and drawings
– home videos
– memes and anecdotes which you have created and/or shared in social media
Please share your thoughts with us:
– how has your everyday life changed?
– how has your working life changed?
– what gets your attention now more than before?
– how have your relations with your relatives and friends changed?
– what are your fears and hopes for the future?
– how has life changed in your community?
– if and how have you taken part in voluntary assistance/aid actions?
– how have changes in other countries or in the world affected your life?
– as individuals and/or society, what could we learn from our experiences during the COVID-19 crisis?
Materials can be in English, French, German, Estonian, Latvian or Lithuanian.
Please send your texts, blog links, photo and video files to:
For the Estonian community: firstname.lastname@example.org or ESC/VEMU, 310 Bloor St. W., Toronto, ON M5S 1W4
For the Latvian community: email@example.com or KLAM, 4 Credit Union Dr, Toronto, ON M4A 2N8.
For the Lithuanian community: firstname.lastname@example.org or LMAC, 2185 Stavebank Rd. Mississauga, ON L5C 1T3
For the Baltic-German community: email@example.com or CBIAS, 123 Bessborough Dr. Toronto, ON M4G 3J5
You can also post your submissions on the BCI COVID-19 Facebook event page.
Deadline for submissions is June 30.
Materials received will be archived with the organization to which they were sent. After we have conquered the COVID19, we’ll prepare an exhibition from the collected materials. We hope to see you at the opening!