Welcome to the Baltic Heritage Network!
Baltic Heritage Network is a multilingual electronic gateway to gather information on the cultural heritage of the Baltic diaspora with the aim of ensuring access to relevant information. The gateway hopes to develop a network of international cooperation encompassing both Baltic, expatriate and foreign archives, libraries and museums, memory and research institutions, and diplomatic, cultural and other organizations of the worldwide Baltic ethnic communities, societies and individuals passionate about preserving the cultural and historical heritage of the Baltic diaspora.
The Website contains:
- suggestions and advice on organizing and preserving cultural heritage material (see Archival Guidelines)
- information on the memory institutions engaged in the collection, preservation and research of the cultural heritage of the Baltic diaspora (see Memory Institutions)
- databases, websites, electronic publications, bibliographies, electronic exhibitions (see References)
- news on events, grants, training programs, job offers (see Billboard)
- reports of events and photo gallery, news archives (see Chronicle)
NEW on the website!!!
Researching and Archiving the Estonians in America
- Baltic Heritage Network Newsletter 2013, No.3
- David Jacobs "A Conference of the Baltic Heritage Network in Tartu, Estonia" in Slavic & East European Information Resources, Volume 14, Issue 1, 2013
UPDATED in December 2012:
- Estonian Graves in Caucasus and Eastern Estonians (in Estonian)
- Register of Estonian archival collections
A NEW WEBSITE! VEMU / Estonian Studies Centre
Using the website
- Using the website is free. Registering and logging in is not required.
- We welcome your suggestions, opinions, and clarifications regarding the contents of the website. Please contact the person responsible for the corresponding section.
- Please send notices and news that you wish to post on the website to karin dot kiisk[at]gmail dot com
- For discussions and commentary please make use of our Forum.
- The proprietary rights of the original materials published on the website belong to the Baltic Heritage Network Non-profit Association. The published materials are protected by copyright (as indicated alongside the materials).
- The original materials published on the website can be quoted and referenced only when the author, title, and source are noted. The materials published on the website can be copied without prior written permission from the holder of the copyright only for personal use. None of the copyright materials can be used for other purposes, including reproducing, distributing or making available online without the prior written permission from the copyright holder.
The History of the Website
The decision to launch this information website was made during the International Conference on Baltic Archives Abroad, held in Tartu in the summer of 2006 and it was included in the memorandum adopted by the conference. The development of the website was initiated by the Working Group of Estonian Archives Abroad in the summer of 2007, and the test version was launched in November 2007. Our Latvian and Lithuanian partners joined in late 2007. The website was made available to the public in January 2008. The electronic design and technical aspects of the website are provided by Portal Invest Ltd (Estonia).
The Baltic Heritage Network Non-profit Association
This new organization was founded in January 2008 in order to create a website, expand international and national cooperation, and coordinate the activities of its members from the Baltic States and the global Baltic diaspora. Information on the objectives of the organization, criteria for membership, and the application form for joining is available under NPA BaltHerNet. New members interested in preserving the cultural heritage of the Baltic diaspora are warmly welcomed!
Baltic Heritage Network, President
piretnoorhani[at]gmail dot com